What is it?
We will take you from complete beginner to fully-qualified ATPL We set up Leading Edge Aviation for people like you, to turn your passion for flying into a fulfilling career. We’ll help you develop the experience and confidence you need to become the best pilot you can be. That includes working as part of a team from day one. Your training will be a combination of group tasks and individual learning activities in both the theoretical and practical parts of the course.
- Total integrated course
- Fully ready for airline induction
- 68 training weeks
- Ground Training: 750+ classroom hours, 14 subjects split over two phases (see FAQs for more detail)
- Initial Flight Training: 130.9 flight training hours (including CPL Skill Test)
- Advanced Flight Training: 53.5 flight training hours (including IR Skill Test)
- Upset Prevention & Recovery Training: 3 flight training hours
- Airline Pilot Standards Multi-Crew Cooperation: 40 Training Hours (including assessment)
Cost and funding
- Integrated course cost: Includes all training (APS-MCC), exam fees, Skills Guarantee, graduate services, accommodation, and our BSc degree programme £99,500.
- Modular course:
- Ground School £6,500;
- Modular MEP CPL, £20,000;
- Modular MEP IR, £29,500;
- Combined Modular MEP CPL/IR/APS-MCC, £56,500
- Accommodation available upon request.
- Skills Assessment, £295
What do you get?
You’ll spend 26 weeks on academic learning and around 40 weeks on practical flying training, both in simulators and in aircraft. When you progress to the airline preparation element of your training, you’ll spend 40 hours in a state-of-the-art Boeing 737-800 or an Airbus A320 simulator. We have partnered with VA Airline Training to deliver the very latest Airline Pilot Standards Multi-Crew Cooperation training phase of your course. The APS MCC was developed by EASA, airlines, and training providers to better prepare graduates for an airline pilot career. The course focuses on the real world of commercial operations, so it’s a great springboard for your new life as an airline pilot. This combination of training utilises the very best instructors and facilities in the industry, worthy of excellence associated with Oxford/Cambridge (Oxbridge) reputation.
- A Multi-Engine Commercial Pilot’s Licence with Instrument Rating (frozen ATPL(A))
- An MCC qualification to enhanced Airline Pilot Standards.
- Commercial Pilot Training with Transport Management BSc Degree (through the integrated training path only)
What does it take?
It takes a special combination of the right skills and attitude to become a great pilot. Find out more about how we initially assess your skills to make sure that the academy is the right place for you to thrive. To find out more detail about what’s involved, check the FAQs.
- Five GCSEs.
- Must include maths, English, and physics.
- You don’t need to have A Levels to join the academy but maths, economics, sciences and geography are favoured by airlines.
- A valid Class 1 medical.
- A valid DBS certificate that’s no older than 3 months on your start date.
Pilot soft skill requirements
- Someone who can be a trusted leader as well as a team player.
- A strong communicator, with good negotiation skills.
- Previous flying experience isn’t essential, but it’s always useful—so you know what you’re letting yourself in for.
Flying is more than a career. It’s a passion. It’s in your blood. It’s a way of life. It’s most probably a dream you’ve had since you were young. We’ll expect that kind of dedication from all our cadets. Our expectations are high, and the standards are higher. But we’ll support you at every step of the way.
Sign up for the assessment
Take the first step in your new career.
Giving you the edge
Our airline partners know that we only train the highest quality cadets, and that we back this up with our skills guarantee. It’s something we give to all new joiner cadets who pass our Skills Assessment. It’s a statement of our confidence in your talent and our ability to spot it. We guarantee that if you don’t pass the course, for reasons of aptitude rather than attitude, we’ll refund your fees. When you meet the airlines they’ll know that you’ve been trained to the highest standards of excellence and that you’ve passed first time. Click here to book your Assessment Day
Get some advice
Talk to us about how our relationships can give you a head-start in your flying career.